Help, game is running very slow

Problems about running the game, purchasing...
eagleFMJ

Help, game is running very slow

Post by eagleFMJ » Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:47 pm

I haven't played since like Alpha 10, which ran fine for me on the default settings. I just updated the game to Alpha 13 (removing old version and re-installing).

I select the smallest 32x32 map, load up the world and after the world finishes loading I am getting like 5-15 frames per second, 9-10 on average. :(

PC specs:
i7 920 @ 3.74 GHz
12 gb ram
Geforce GTX 570 1280MB (v337.88)
win7 x64 (fully updated)

As far as I know my PC is updated, direct x , .net all those kinda of things, this is a pretty fresh install of win7 just a few weeks old. I am not sure what the issue is, I remember playing earlier builds of this game with no performance issues at all I never even changed anything in the video options always left it on default.

I have tried turning every graphic setting off, I have the objects,trees & grass rendering set to 800 the lowest it will go, I have textures still set to High, I use vsync, and have AF set to 4X, so besides these last 3 settings, everything else is off or set to the lowest value and the frame rate is still terrible.

Any ideas on what I can try next? I am about ready to give up, I figured my PC could handle this game even tho its getting old, but I play plenty games at high/ultra settings with good results.

eagle

eagleFMJ

Re: Help, game is running very slow

Post by eagleFMJ » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:05 pm

After more trial and error..

I unchecked vsync and that seemed to help, i now have all options checked and most settings on high, few on medium and now getting 25-30 frames per second so at least the games playable.

Is this about the normal amount of frames I should be getting with my system specs?

One thing I noticed, I created a new world, loaded it up and I was still getting the low 5-10 fps, then I went in the video options turned everything off then turned them back on 1 by 1 and the current fps started to increase? I know I don't understand it either lol.

OldSnake
Dev Team
Dev Team

Post by OldSnake » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:08 pm

Hello eagleFMJ,

When the world generation is finished you need to wait approximatly 2 minutes because the world generation is doing some background tasks that limit the framerate (a message is telling you that right after spawn). After those two minutes your framerate should go up. How many FPS do you have after 5 minutes after spawn please ?
Dangerous Rays main developer and Lonely Bits Games director. http://www.lonelybitsgames.com

eagleFMJ

Post by eagleFMJ » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:42 pm

OldSnake wrote:Hello eagleFMJ,

When the world generation is finished you need to wait approximatly 2 minutes because the world generation is doing some background tasks that limit the framerate (a message is telling you that right after spawn). After those two minutes your framerate should go up. How many FPS do you have after 5 minutes after spawn please ?
Well right now its 25-30 all options checked on high and a few things on medium, seems playable. I guess I wasn't waiting long enough for the world to finish loading, I figured once the red text disappeared that the world was done loading.