[DEV DIARY 16] New "Work In Progress" web page

Latest important news and announcements are here !
OldSnake
Dev Team
Dev Team

[DEV DIARY 16] New "Work In Progress" web page

Post by OldSnake » Mon May 11, 2015 4:33 pm

Hello !

The official Dangerous Rays website has been updated with a new "Work In Progress" page: http://www.dangerousrays.com/workinprogress

In this page you can see all changes made for the next Alpha 18 update. This page will be updated a few times per month so you can follow the development of the game. I hope you will be pleased by the actual changes :)

There is quite a lot of things left to do but most of the core engine work is already done so that is a good thing.

See you soon for more information about the development.
Dangerous Rays main developer and Lonely Bits Games director. http://www.lonelybitsgames.com

Seneral
Dangerous Rays Supporter
Dangerous Rays Supporter

Re: [DEV DIARY 16] New "Work In Progress" web page

Post by Seneral » Mon May 11, 2015 5:51 pm

Wow, that are great news:D The page looks promising, nice to see these really important changes (and them being updated :O ).

Also I'm delighted to see you're planning Mac/Linux support; I don't like the idea of limiting players to 2 platforms only, with DirectX 11 as a requirement ;)

I have a question regarding modding capabilities, what will the Game modding tools expose? Can we, for example, interact with the terrain generation? Replace terrain shaders? Change AI Behaviour?

I think an important step for modding support (if you're planning so), is to make an universal Node-System in the modding tools which can basically modify ANYTHING in the game, as you're currently working mainly with XML either way. Or choose a custom format for that. Also put any relevant game mechanics / processes such as Terrain Generation Steps, AI Behaviour and such in XML format so everything is accessible from that one node interface.

That would provide endless benefits for you, as well as modders. And not too much work needed to implement that;)

Please consider that. Other professional engines (such as Snowdrop) provided JUST a Node Interface from which everything could successfully be created.

Seneral

OldSnake
Dev Team
Dev Team

Post by OldSnake » Tue May 12, 2015 12:56 pm

I am planning to expose the most things possible in the scripting system (similar to C / C++) of the game.
Dangerous Rays main developer and Lonely Bits Games director. http://www.lonelybitsgames.com

Seneral
Dangerous Rays Supporter
Dangerous Rays Supporter

Post by Seneral » Tue May 12, 2015 1:29 pm

You're implementing a scripting system? :O That's indeed alot of power if we're able to script individual objects to give them behaviour. Great!