[DEV DIARY 11] Dangerous Rays new engine announcement

Latest important news and announcements are here !
OldSnake
Dev Team
Dev Team

[DEV DIARY 11] Dangerous Rays new engine announcement

Post by OldSnake » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:41 pm

Hello !

It's been a long time with no news about Dangerous Rays development. A handful lot of things have been going on behind the scene lately and since i am the leader of this project and also it's main programmer i got a lot of work. So that's why over the last weeks i wanted to invest all of my time by working on the game instead of giving some too early information on what i was doing at this time.

Dangerous Rays now have a completely new engine ! The old engine was not strong enough to handle the evolution of the game as i wanted too. So i have made the radical decision to made a new one !
This process was "simple", take every weak points of the old engine and try to make it in a much better way. One of the biggest mistake with the current version of the game was to focus too much on graphics features. For the new one i have decided for the Alpha development phase to focus on:

- Engine stability
- Gameplay features
- Interesting NPC's
- Modding capabilities

This is not meaning that the graphics of the new engine are going to be awful but it will be a bit less "impressive" than the old version at first. But on the other hand the game will run much better and everything will feel much more smoother than before with this new engine.
Graphics will be of course much improved in the future but when the time will be right to do so.

64 bits support, new multithreaded graphic engine for more performances, map editor, modding scripting API, Steamworks support, vast others enhancements, a lot of things will be new in this future Steam version, stay tuned for detailed information on this new engine and how it will improve your experience.

Do not forget that you can get the very early access version of the game right now for 12.99€ and get a free Steam key when the new Steam version of Dangerous Rays will be released. We need your support to be able to continue our work !

Buy link: https://www.dangerousrays.com/buy

Thank you for your patience and see you soon !

OldSnake

MacGamerFR
Dangerous Rays Supporter
Dangerous Rays Supporter

Re: [DEV DIARY 11] Dangerous Rays new engine announcement

Post by MacGamerFR » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:43 pm

Yay :D I have few questions about this new engine ^^

About the multithreading, will we have same performances on a 2C/4T CPU ( like i3 ) and on a 4C/4T CPU ( like i5 or A6/8/10 ) ?
About modding the game, will you make a documentation about "How to make 3D models and use it in DR" for exemple ?

You you've must done a really hard work on this new engine, all I can do for now is to encourage you for the best :-bd
Will a preview be released ? Or have we to wait until the Steam version ?

Congrats ;)

Seneral
Dangerous Rays Supporter
Dangerous Rays Supporter

Post by Seneral » Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:17 pm

Wow sounds amazing! Great you focus on Gameplay features now, NPC part is interesting :)
Will some DevLogs on more specific parts such as NPC appearance, cars, modding, what we can prepare for then and so on will come, too? I would appreciate "regular" devlogs like one or two per month :ympray:

Keep going, wish you the best for a great success ;)

OldSnake
Dev Team
Dev Team

Post by OldSnake » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:53 am

Thank you for your comment's, here is the answer to your questions so far:
About the multithreading, will we have same performances on a 2C/4T CPU ( like i3 ) and on a 4C/4T CPU ( like i5 or A6/8/10 ) ?
Well the new engine can take advantage of 4 cores CPU's so having a quad core CPU will be better than having a dual core CPU. And in general a core i5 and i7 will be better than a core i3 for gaming.
About modding the game, will you make a documentation about "How to make 3D models and use it in DR" for example ?
Scripting API will have some programming documentation, i am planning to do some simple samples to show the basics of modding. The new model converter tool will have some documentation to show how to convert models for the new engine. And then i hope that the community will start to build some wiki's and do some tutorials.
Will a preview be released ? Or have we to wait until the Steam version ?
No i am not planning to do a preview version of the game :)
Will some DevLogs on more specific parts such as NPC appearance, cars, modding, what we can prepare for then and so on will come, too? I would appreciate "regular" devlogs like one or two per month :ympray:
I am planning to do some very specific devlogs about the various parts of the new engine. So yes you can expect more regular devlogs from now.

abelro

Post by abelro » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:48 pm

^:)^ :ymhug:

Great news update OldSnake!! So I guess that " Interesting NPC's" means more undead AND survivors? I guess it means I must say goodbye to my Zombie girl.

As always keep up the fantastic work folks.

:-bd \m/

MacGamerFR
Dangerous Rays Supporter
Dangerous Rays Supporter

Post by MacGamerFR » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:18 pm

Thanks for your answers :-bd

About the CPU I was wondering about process/thread optimizations in fact ^^ I have a 4C/4T AMD CPU but Intel CPUs which have Hyperthreading like some i3 and i7 can have 2C/4T or 4C/8T so I wanted to know if your engine can take advantage of the two technologies :)
Sorry if I'm too precise in my question, the fact is I accord a lot of importance to hardware and software optimizations ;)

deadahead

Post by deadahead » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:15 pm

Excellent, I can't wait for the Steam version to be ready!
Keep up the great work!
:-bd

OldSnake
Dev Team
Dev Team

Post by OldSnake » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:10 pm

So I guess that " Interesting NPC's" means more undead AND survivors? I guess it means I must say goodbye to my Zombie girl.
Yes i will add more zombies variation and the first animals. Then after that other creatures will be added gradually. i just want to have a solid pathfinding and navigation system first.
I have a 4C/4T AMD CPU but Intel CPUs which have Hyperthreading like some i3 and i7 can have 2C/4T or 4C/8T so I wanted to know if your engine can take advantage of the two technologies
No the engine do not use the Intel Hyperthreading technology for now.

MikeRoss

Post by MikeRoss » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:09 am

Engine stability is very important. You can't expect your car to perform better if you lack engine stability. You have a warning control if your engine fails and having an engine stability can make you car run smoothly and better.