[DEV DIARY 30] Progress Report

Latest important news and announcements are here !
OldSnake
Dev Team
Dev Team

[DEV DIARY 30] Progress Report

Postby OldSnake » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:49 pm

Hello Everyone,

First (and a bit late), Happy New Year ! 2017 will be the year of Dangerous Rays Alpha 18 version release and things are going very well regarding the development !
Here is what has been done since the last dev diary:

- 3D Assets Integration

Now that the engine is stable and enough feature complete i can start to integrate new 3D assets into the game (plenty of new 3D model has been made and they just wait for integration). Today i will talk about the buildings.
They were some complains about the buildings in Alpha 17 version. Most of players were thinking that the buildings were too empty, that the geometry was not very detailed, that textures were too "clean" and repetitive.

I took all this feedback in account when designing the buildings for Alpha 18 version and here is the result:

As you can see the new buildings are much more detailed, you can even compare the 2 versions on this image:

Quite an improvement isn't it ?

Building now look much more "organic" and the texture work eliminate the texture repetition problem (it will look even better when the procedural decals system will be added in the engine).
This time there is really an artistic direction (old eastern architecture). So you can expect a visually coherent world this time. Alpha 18 will feature around 100 different buildings to visit at release and much more in the future.

Please note that the buildings will of course be filled with various furniture (tables, cabinets, junk...) in the future. You can expect to see that in some weeks. Building furniture has also been drastically improved !

- Vegetation Rendering Improvements

I have improved the vegetation system to handle more trees/bushes/rocks. Rendering was also improved. Vegetation start to look quite good now and the framerate is not affected too much with this new system. Compared to the old Alpha 17 system this is a gigantic step forward.

Of course what you are seeing here are just some dev/test screenshots, the vegetation will be more dense and varied at release time. The new system support up to 256 tree types, the old system was limited to 32 in alpha 17.

- PhysX 3.4 Integration

PhysX 3.4 is available since 1 week and i have already integrated it in the new engine (my PhysX implementation was already very mature and feature complete). Numerous bugs were fixed and the performance of the physics engine is improved. Everything is stable and ready for future physics vehicles integration in the game.

- Others

- Engine optimization and improvements
- Modding tools / Editor improvements
- Physically Based Rendering improvements
- Plenty of others miscellaneous improvements

Thank you for you support and see you in the next dev diary with some new exiting screenshots ! :-B

OldSnake
Dangerous Rays main developer and Lonely Bits Games director. http://www.lonelybitsgames.com

Odin_Lowe

Re: [DEV DIARY30] Progress Report

Postby Odin_Lowe » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:38 pm

Keep it up OldSnake!! This is shaping up quite nicely!! :-bd Continue le bon travail mec, et merci pour tout!! Très hâte d'essayer le Alpha ver.18 !! Cheers!

MacGamerFR
Dangerous Rays Supporter
Dangerous Rays Supporter

Postby MacGamerFR » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:21 pm

Hey there !
Good to see we are not far from Alpha release :D

About PhysX, what do we get if we don't have Nvidia GPU ? I know that the CPU will be handling the computing, but will not it be too much for the CPU to handle ? Any idea about computing physics in GPU aside from Nvidia PhysX ?

Continue the good work ! :-bd
Windows 10 - MSI A88XM Gaming - AMD A10-7850K 3,7GHz @4,2GHz - Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury X - G.Skill Sniper PC-19200 2400MHz 4GB x2 - Crucial M500 240GB - MSI GX70 gaming notebook

OldSnake
Dev Team
Dev Team

Postby OldSnake » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:28 pm

If you have an NVIDIA GPU the whole physics calculations will be done by the GPU. If not then calculations will be done by the CPU. My implementation in Dangerous Rays engine is using every available CPU core to speed up the calculations. To be honest the CPU based physics is perfectly fine and very nicely optimized. It do the job perfectly. GPU accelerated physics is just "the cherry on the cake" but everything is fine without it.
Dangerous Rays main developer and Lonely Bits Games director. http://www.lonelybitsgames.com

Red Mayor
Dangerous Rays Supporter
Dangerous Rays Supporter

Postby Red Mayor » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:22 pm

Wonderful Job OldSnake!

Exciting progress, keep up the hard work as it is paying off.

Looking forward to the next installment and Alpha 18 release.

Regards
Chris

Seneral
Dangerous Rays Supporter
Dangerous Rays Supporter

Postby Seneral » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:38 pm

Thank you so much for your hard work, OldSnake!
This is indeed looking really good :) I'm very excited what will come in the future!

Also like that most of the known vibe of the previous alphas is still there, even with completely new rendering systems and assets :) But also don't be afraid to change it a bit as you see need for it. It's a pretty dark atmosphere, which I personally like but maybe not everyone on the market.
Perhaps you can do some post-effect colorization options? I've seen some other games providing different LUT-Presets so users can quickly adjust the rendering style to their liking...

Anyway, keep it up! :)

BerSeeker
Dangerous Rays Supporter
Dangerous Rays Supporter

Postby BerSeeker » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:24 pm

De bonnes nouvelles :)
vivement cette alpha 18.

Par contre pour les bâtiments, ce serait peut être plus intéressant de les subdiviser en éléments individuels (murs, sols, portes...) permettant la réutilisation tout en évitant la répétition, et donc multiplier la variation des bâtiments que l on pourra croiser.

deadahead

Postby deadahead » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:06 pm

Hey Oldsnake, any news on progress?

When will the next Dev Diary be up? :-ss

Seneral
Dangerous Rays Supporter
Dangerous Rays Supporter

Postby Seneral » Wed May 03, 2017 8:16 pm

Yes, would also like to hear about news... please keep us up to date Franck! :)

OldSnake
Dev Team
Dev Team

Postby OldSnake » Fri May 05, 2017 9:28 am

Hello guys,

New dev diary is coming soon :) (probably in the middle of the month)

Return to “News & Announcements”