[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
Massive forest rendering? - Lonely Bits Games Community Forums

Massive forest rendering?

Suggest and discuss new ideas for Dangerous Rays
Seneral
Dangerous Rays Supporter
Dangerous Rays Supporter

Massive forest rendering?

Postby Seneral » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:46 pm

Hi,
After seeing one of the latest screens I imagined how DR would look like if it would have the algorithm implemented. It's indeed very complex, but if you ever need a challenge, Franck, that should do it! :) Just a thought, but a simplified version with lower res billboards should work fine in games I guess...
What do you think about that? Possible?
Seneral

OldSnake
Dev Team
Dev Team

Re: Massive forest rendering?

Postby OldSnake » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:05 pm

Those king of technical papers are interesting but it is generally hard to integrate such technique in a real game without scarifying performance / flexibility.

Dangerous Rays Alpha 18 will already integrate some great terrain and vegetation rendering improvements.

- Much faster terrain rendering
- Added terrain shadows support
- Increased max textures layers from 5 to 8
- Improved textures blending quality
- Improved textures blending precision
- Improved random heightmap generator system capabilities
- More precise terrain elevation calculations
- Fixed object disappearing/hidden by terrain geometry
- Improved realtime terrain geometry modification system
- Improved terrain texture painting system
- Improved terrain grid system
- Fixed terrain black artifacts on AMD graphics cards
- Max vegetation layers count (Number of trees, bushes and grass type) increased from 32 to 64
- Improved vegetation rendering performances
- Improved vegetation billboards rendering performances
- Improved automatic vegetation billboards generation system
- Increased billboards textures size from 256x256 to 512x512 (result in a better billboard quality)
- Much faster grass rendering
- Better terrain grass distribution algorithm
- Max grass rendering distance increased from 80 to 150 meters
- Fixed micro freezes related to grass rendering
- Reduced grass "popup" effect
- Reduced memory footprint and consumption
- Fixed memory leaks

Of course i am open to improve the terrain system even more in the future but that is not the priority for now.
Dangerous Rays main developer and Lonely Bits Games director. http://www.lonelybitsgames.com

Seneral
Dangerous Rays Supporter
Dangerous Rays Supporter

Re: Massive forest rendering?

Postby Seneral » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:37 pm

I know about the terrain additions, and even though the list is huge, just consider one thing: As of your latest decisions to switch to DX11 only, I'm assuming you're targeting mid- to high-level hardware, am I right? Those machines can perform tasks like that with ease (ok, with limitations).

When I linked the algorithm I didn't meant this should be implemented exactly but to cut out features not noticeable in the FPS pespective, like the Hotspot-Effect. In the end, it would just be an improved billboard alternative with little performance hit but great visual impact.

Another thing with negliable performance hit is the addition of a global perlin normal map, a global colormap and uv blending on the terrain. With uv blending I mean that in the distance, textures get an overlay of the same texture with uvs scaled up. That all add to great visual quality and least tiling..
A great example is RTP, which I already linked here on the forum I think. It's a good source on simple little additions to improve quality of the terrain (POM shading excluded, too complex). This is a screen using uv blend and global perlin normals:

I'd also like to ask if you could allow for adding and changing generation steps and their order using the modding tools. That'd be great and would allow me and other modders to implement more simpler things like that.

Best regards,
Seneral

Return to “Suggestions”