Template system - House generation

Suggest and discuss new ideas for Dangerous Rays
Seneral
Dangerous Rays Supporter
Dangerous Rays Supporter

Template system - House generation

Post by Seneral » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:20 pm

Hey there again!
This time I just got a suggestion concerning the template system:) I read in the forums that random house generation will be in the final game (even if terrain generation would not...). So I started to thing about some things that could be done better, and would improve the final vision and feeling of the "randomness" of these houses. Actually, there are preset and will spawn at a certain percentage. After you visited and looted a few farms you'll notice the repetition. Of course, later in the developement there will be many more models for sure, but how about improving the system itself? Maybe you are already looking forward to that, but let me explain.
I suggest rather than simple probabilities some additional functions like
-when this Christmas tree is there, there will be some presents placed under it. But when there is NO CT, there will be no presents, too.
or
-Place either this type of sofa or this.

Something like this:

Code: Select all

Model { Chimney }

{{
Model { ChristmasTree01 }
and
Model { Present01 }
or
Model { Present02 }
}}

{{
Model { Sofa01 }
or
Model { Sofa02 }
}}
Something like groups depending on the presence of one object, or choices between objects.
{{ and }} would define the group in this example, but an other syntax would be fine, too.

Please let me know your opinion about this!
Seneral

OldSnake
Dev Team
Dev Team

Re: Template system - House generation

Post by OldSnake » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:13 pm

Hello,

I have already integrated this feature in our internal tools. However this template system will be completely changed in the future.

Seneral
Dangerous Rays Supporter
Dangerous Rays Supporter

Re: Template system - House generation

Post by Seneral » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:27 pm

Good to know, thanks!