In-depth Melee

Suggest and discuss new ideas for Dangerous Rays
insane

In-depth Melee

Post by insane » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:47 am

Melee combat is rarely ever done in games well.

Perhaps this game can be the difference?

For a true in-depth melee system, you have to provide a plethora of ways to use melee weapons without using a clunky amount of buttons. This does mean you have to simplify things, but you still have room to do things.

Firstly, all melee weapons should have a shove option- Guns as well. This should be a quick motion that is meant to push your enemy away, or get him on the ground, though this should depend on the weapon. This could be assigned to mouse3 or similar.

For example, you get into a fight with an enemy. You both have melee weapons. You want to get the advantage in this battle, so you push him down with your weapon to get him into a vulnerable position.

A kick button would be useful as well. Though it will be hard to do this without being silly, being able to kick or knee at someone to immobilize them will be rather handy.

We also need a variety of ways our weapon swings. If you just click, it should be a fast, not that hard swing, slash, or thrust. If you hold in for a bit, you end up going with a more powerful swing, slash, or thrust. This is fairly common and easy to implement.

I'd also like to see a focus on stunning, pushing, and incapacitating your opponent. Too many games nowadays allow the enemy to attack you at the same moment you do. If you hit an enemy with a melee weapon, especially in an area like the gut, they should have to take a moment to swing back. This should also apply to the player. As you are beat around, you do not get a chance to attack and have to wait for an opportunity.

Of course, perfecting the melee in a game like this may be difficult, but it will be worth it. You could have justification for rare firearms and make combat a lot more up close and personal.

OldSnake
Dev Team
Dev Team

Re: In-depth Melee

Post by OldSnake » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:15 am

Hello insane and welcome on the forums.

Melee system is pretty simple in Dangerous Rays at the moment, but i am planning to improve it with a lot of things you described here. My way of doing things is to code a basic system, release it to players and then make small iterations on every updates to improve it and put more and more details.

Dangerous Rays development will be long and the players will have the opportunity to see the game evolve each weeks in dozen of areas. This is going to be interesting ;)

insane

Post by insane » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:01 pm

That's good to hear. I really hope the community can expand for this game and the early access release can attract numerous players who will hopefully contribute more to providing ideas for the development.

Applejaxc

Post by Applejaxc » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:19 pm

insane wrote:That's good to hear. I really hope the community can expand for this game and the early access release can attract numerous players who will hopefully contribute more to providing ideas for the development.
I'm already trying to get as many people as I can interested. I don't like the attitude of "I'm going to release it to the community"; I'm really hoping there isn't a lot of dependency on mods to make the game worth it.

kicknlicks

Post by kicknlicks » Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:39 pm

Applejaxc wrote:
insane wrote:That's good to hear. I really hope the community can expand for this game and the early access release can attract numerous players who will hopefully contribute more to providing ideas for the development.
I'm already trying to get as many people as I can interested. I don't like the attitude of "I'm going to release it to the community"; I'm really hoping there isn't a lot of dependency on mods to make the game worth it.
As an arma 2 modder and mission maker it makes me wet in the pants. That being said no game is ever perfect the ability for the individual player to go in and change what they want is a GODSEND. The game cant magically cater to all your wants because it would then have to cater to everyone's wants. The modding aspect allows mediocre games like the elder scroll series to shine brilliantly. It allows wonderful games like Arma2/ofp to be any thing you want it to be.

For example. he cant possibly have all the weapons in the world ingame. I may port my weapon models from arma and pow we now have another 20 weapons in the game. uniforms clothing. Oh the maps Oh the maps. I havent really gotten into map making but I have a general idea. If I find time or have the will instead of creating weapons or other small assets I may simply create another area for other people to work on. To add new community built missions.

I know nothing of the current map but I am already have a small sketch of a port town surrounded by forest on one side but onthe other side instead of water its a dry waterbed with beached and dilapidated ships strewn all over the horizon.

OldSnake
Dev Team
Dev Team

Post by OldSnake » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:07 pm

I know nothing of the current map but I am already have a small sketch of a port town surrounded by forest on one side but onthe other side instead of water its a dry waterbed with beached and dilapidated ships strewn all over the horizon.
The map is procedurally generated, so like minecraft for example the map is generated by code and nothing is placed by hand.

When the 3D map editor will be out, players will be able to design there own maps and place every object by hands to make the world they want, inch by inch. ;)

kicknlicks

Post by kicknlicks » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:14 am

Ah yes ofc. I meant that.