The sense of Self.

Suggest and discuss new ideas for Dangerous Rays
Nominal1

The sense of Self.

Post by Nominal1 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:14 am

I have always liked the sense of self in FP survival. Seeing ones hands, a little torso, legs and feet. I've felt more invested in my character in a FP game when I feel rooted to the environment and not just hands floating around or a little head bobbing. Maybe having a found backpack or gunny sack that you have to interact with by an animation. You put down on the ground or table to change your load out of tools. Forcing a little thought to your strategy for the situation you feel you about to get into. Looking down and seeing your new foot wear, putting on your new found glove ('s) that keep you hands from blistering and being able to swing you ax longer. Some tools can be changed on the fly, but a sense of every tool can be chosen all the time seems cheesy in a survival game. Maybe the sense that you could lose your back if put it down in the wrong situation and are forced to flee. (Still retrievable later.) I digress, I enjoy the feeling of my character being in the situation and environment. I feel this is powerful tool and the accent is the terrain and NPC's in the survival genera, or I could be wrong. I wish a game would come to mind that really grabbed me by the boo boo, and this feeling of self preservation had been pulled off. That game may have not been made yet. :-@

Applejaxc

Re: The sense of Self.

Post by Applejaxc » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:17 pm

Having a backpack should = you "Open your pack" when you open your inventory. Either that or, at the very least, it takes longer to take stuff out of your bag than it does from your "Hotbar" (toolbelt, etc)

Abberation

Re: The sense of Self.

Post by Abberation » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:12 pm

This is a good idea, it increases immersion immensely in my opinion and is just one little thing that adds more to the whole of the experience...