Firearms and ammunition types galore?

Suggest and discuss new ideas for Dangerous Rays
Applejaxc

Firearms and ammunition types galore?

Post by Applejaxc » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:19 pm

While keeping everything extremely rare to be fun and difficult, an introduction of a very wide variety of very different firearms and ammunition types for diversity and "tactical" gameplay would be nice. Obviously hollow-points, for example, would be perfect for zombies, but assaulting a bandit wooden fortification would require some FMJ for negating cover. While buckshot would drop a human-like monster effectively, it might be better to load slugs for use against targets outside of your shotgun's effective range or through cover. Maybe even the possibility of non-lethal rounds? While they would be useless against monsters, presumably, it would be easier to cook an animal you battered to death because you don't have to dig all the bullets out and (if someone plays multiplayer), knocking a player out to steal their gear may be more merciful than simply blasting them away. At the very least it would allow you to maintain their gear. With a quest-system, if an NPC asks me to find some marauding thugs, and they want the leader brought in "Alive or dead," a nice bean-bag to the chest and some handcuffs would increase my reward, wouldn't it?

OldSnake
Dev Team
Dev Team

Re: Firearms and ammunition types galore?

Post by OldSnake » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:25 am

Ammunition types are already supported: FMJ, HP, bullet tracers, those things are already supported in the engine. Weapons attachements (silencers, optics...), shotgun support and more things will come in the future.

Please watch this videos to learn more about that:

it would be easier to cook an animal you battered to death because you don't have to dig all the bullets out
That is a nice idea.

insane

Post by insane » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:05 pm

I'd love to see a variety of weapons in this game.

I'd also like to expand on the idea of bullets damaging animals.

Though it may take a lot of work, animals could have fairly simple hitboxes on them that match their real life counterparts. For example, you would want to aim for the heart area or head of a deer. If you do hit a deer in an area where you aren't necessarily going to be getting your meat from, or use only one bullet, you will be able to get a lot more meat, but if you pepper up the side of a deer with a shitload of bullets, the meat should be damaged and require a lot of work to get the fragments out.

Applejaxc

Post by Applejaxc » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:11 pm

OldSnake wrote:Ammunition types are already supported: FMJ, HP, bullet tracers, those things are already supported in the engine. Weapons attachements (silencers, optics...), shotgun support and more things will come in the future.
I've already watched the video, and showed it to friends. While I'm excited to see FJM, HP, and tracers, that isn't enough.

OldSnake
Dev Team
Dev Team

Post by OldSnake » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:12 pm

Applejaxc wrote:While I'm excited to see FJM, HP, and tracers, that isn't enough.
Don't forget that Dangerous Rays is in early alpha state, there is a long way to go before it is finished and plenty of time for me to improve a lot of aspects of the game.

Abberation

Post by Abberation » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:18 pm

In my opinion it is one of the best ballistics engines i have ever seen, and the visual demonstration helped, but i must ask how many hours of coding this took to get it to work?

Applejaxc

Post by Applejaxc » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:13 pm

OldSnake wrote:
Applejaxc wrote:While I'm excited to see FJM, HP, and tracers, that isn't enough.
Don't forget that Dangerous Rays is in early alpha state, there is a long way to go before it is finished and plenty of time for me to improve a lot of aspects of the game.
Just HP and FMJ isn't enough. I hope a lot of ammunition types are supported, as well as tools for creating our own kinds of bullets.

Bhoren

Post by Bhoren » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:47 pm

Applejaxc wrote:
OldSnake wrote:
Just HP and FMJ isn't enough. I hope a lot of ammunition types are supported, as well as tools for creating our own kinds of bullets.
Yeah, there is a lot to do with ammunition. Each should change the bullet statistic. For example, a shotgun loaded with 12 gauge ammo would have much more chance to bounce on wall, since they fire tiny round pellet, than a flechette loaded cartridge, but those last ones would have much more accuracy and penetration.

bwc153

Post by bwc153 » Sat May 03, 2014 5:21 pm

OldSnake wrote:
it would be easier to cook an animal you battered to death because you don't have to dig all the bullets out
That is a nice idea.
As a hunter, I can tell you that removing the bullet from an animal has never been an issue. The only time removing projectiles from an animal has been a pain is with BBs, as it's difficult to spot/remove them from a dead bird sometimes - it's an unpleasant surprise to bite down on a BB when eating duck/goose/pheasant/crane...
It would also be inefficient for hunting due to inability to kill target in one shot without severely bruising the meat and/or bursting internal organs, some of which you DON'T want to burst in order to prevent contamination of the meat, not to mention if your first shot didn't kill it any follow-up shots are unlikely to kill it either.

MrThirsty

Post by MrThirsty » Sun May 04, 2014 8:25 am

Applejaxc wrote:assaulting a bandit wooden fortification would require some FMJ for negating cover
Assaulting bandit bases (A. I) controlled would be another great idea. Explosive /suppressive rounds could also be very handy here